Dentures are the oldest method of tooth replacement. There are both partial and full dentures, depending on the number of extant teeth. Each type of dentures are customized and made to fit your individual mouth. Today, there are other techniques for dental restoration, but dentures remain the only prosthetic. If you are missing most or all of your teeth, here are some pros and cons of dentures, as outlined by our expert in dentures in North Hollywood.
• Dentures are portable. They can be taken out for cleaning, or for modifications if necessary.
• Dentures support the muscles of your face. This avoids the sunken cheeks that are common with the nightmare of tooth loss.
• They restore both esthetics and functionality. Modern dentures look very natural, and they ensure that you retain proper chewing and speaking skills.
• Dentures can fit poorly. It is important that the technician has a high degree of skill. Poorly-fitted dentures can rub against the soft tissues in the mouth and cause soreness or even bleeding in the gums.
• Dentures are fragile. If treated carelessly or taken out of the mouth improperly, the prosthetic can break easily.
• They require an adjustment period. Multiple fittings may be required, after which there will be a slight learning curve in eating and speaking with your false teeth.
If you think you may be a candidate for dentures, schedule a consult with our North Hollywood dentists.