A strong oral health record can improve your health across the board, including reduced risk for heart disease and stroke. If you have children, educating them on the perks of healthy teeth can lead to a lifetime of quality smiles. Our expert in preventive dentistry in Beverly Hills urges you to consider healthy teeth a family priority, and has provided the following tips for keeping your teeth healthy:
• Brush your teeth twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush. Always brush at a 45-degree angle, against the gums. Brushing removes plaque, the destructive bacterial film that builds up on teeth and causes decay. To ensure your brushing stays at a high level, you should change your toothbrush often, as many as 4 times a year.
• Floss once a day, and rinse with a quality mouthwash. Combining these two is the best way to rid the mouth of food particles and attendant bacteria, keeping your mouth at its freshest.
• If your water is not fluoridated, use a fluoride supplement. Fluoride strengthens enamel and makes it less likely to decay.
• Watch your diet. Sticky, sugary foods adhere to teeth and cause cavities. Sodas and energy drinks erode enamel and cause stains. Drink plenty of water, and eat lots of green leafy vegetables.
• For children, consider dental sealants, which are highly effective in protecting the molars from cavities.
For more information, contact us.