Taking care of your restorations will maximize their lifespans and protect your dental health. Dental crowns are a type of restoration that fit over a tooth that has been damaged severely. The crown protects the tooth from further damage and improves the look and function of your smile. Crowns can be used cosmetically, but also offer health and restorative benefits. Our cosmetic dentist in Torrance may recommend a crown if you have a fractured tooth, a large filling, a weak tooth, or a tooth that has been treated with a root canal.
You can take good care of your crown by:
- Maintaining excellent dental hygiene
- Scheduling regular dental checkups and cleanings
- Avoiding hard or extremely chewy or sticky foods
- Wearing a mouth guard if you grind your teeth
- Using floss and interdental cleaners properly to clean around the tooth, especially where the crown meets the natural tooth at the gum line
The average lifespan of a crown is about ten years, but a dental crown can last a lifetime with proper care. By preventing tooth decay and gum disease, you can ensure that your crown continues to protect your tooth as long as possible. Call our expert in porcelain crowns in Torrance today to find out more, or to schedule your appointment with our team.