You might wonder if you are a candidate for dental implants if you are missing one or more teeth. Implants are the gold standard for replacing teeth because they are cost-effective, long-lasting and are similar in design and function to your natural teeth. Many people can benefit from implants, but not everyone is a candidate.
The ideal dental implant candidate is someone who:
- Has healthy teeth and gums
- Has a healthy jawbone that can support the implant
- Is committed to healthy dental habits
- Does not suffer from uncontrolled systemic diseases that could interfere with his or her ability to heal
- Does not smoke or is willing to quit smoking during treatment and healing
- Is committed to the time needed to complete treatment
- Is not being treated with bisphosphonate medications, which can interfere with healing
Patients who have poor quality bone tissue in their jaws or who have inadequate bone tissue may still be candidates for dental implants if they are willing and able to undergo bone grafts. These procedures are designed to augment the bone tissue and improve the quality and quantity of tissue at the implant site. Mini-implants may also be an option for these patients.
Call our dental implant dentist today to learn more about your candidacy for dental implants or to schedule an appointment with our team.